Position: Full Time
Providence House is a community based non-profit organization located in Shreveport, Louisiana established in the late 1980’s in response to the plea of homeless families with children. The Providence House is seeking a Family Advocate. Underlying the mission of Providence House is God’s gracious intention, sovereign purpose and steadfast love for each and every person. In providing shelter, care, support and encouragement for families in need, we would be a visible sign and instrument of God’s own provision for His children.
The purpose of this position is to assist each family complete and graduate from the Providence House program while creating an environment in which families feel safe, secure, cared for and supported.
• Always treat everyone (adults and children) fairly and with dignity and respect
• Handle a complex environment with residents from diverse backgrounds and often with lots of “baggage”
• Understand the difference between teaching adults and teaching children while remaining calm
• Use technology to enhance resident achievement and professional growth
• Relate to residents while modeling professional work habits
• Evaluate resident progress coordinating with case manager
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records
• Counsel residents so that they continue to be motivated in pursuing their goals
• Be sensitive to cultural diversity and disabilities as well as varying socio-economic backgrounds
• Complete every task necessary to ensure programmatic and resident success as well as professional development
• Responsible for completing all assigned tasks, reading each shift summary sheet and initialing
• Assist in dining room and recording total meals as required
• Checking on resident chores, documenting levels sheet, ensuring children are in area for bus, and making rounds through building as required
• Disburse medication as necessary
• Relieving other operation staff for breaks
• Receive and stack donations as necessary
• Flexibility to work various work schedules.
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong organizational skills are essential
• Energetic, highly motivated and supportive of Providence House
• Must maintain an open and respectful attitude towards colleagues and residents
• Must be a “team player” who is willing to go the extra mile to make Providence House and its residents successful
• Must possess some experience working with clients
Acceptable Experience and Training:
• An Associate’s degree is required with at least two (2) years experience in the social services or education field
• Experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work
Application deadline Friday, February 3, 2017 by 12 pm.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Shelly Marshall, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com